Sunday 6 November 2011

D.I.Y Waterfall Dress...

Hey Hey huns,
Was going through my wardrobe the other day and came across a long grey maxi dress that i had bought from ASOS aaaaaaages ago. I was meaning to alter it as it was way to long for me but never got the chance to actually do it. So anyway I pulled it out the other day and thought hey, I’m going to make a waterfall dress (You know the style that’s short in the front long at the back kind of thing) if it goes wrong I’m not going to miss it because the dress has been there like forever and if it goes right that’s an extra bonus for me. So I got the scissors, Chalk and tape measure and got to cutting...

Maxi Dress at Original...

I tried the dress on to get my measurements. Using the measuring tape I held it from underneath the arm of the dress and measured it to my foot which came up to about 47.5 Inches (I’m a shortie, this I know lol) As I want the dress to be a water fall style dress so I also measured from the bust of the dress to about my knee which came up to 30 Inches. Taking the dress off I remembered where I measured from and how much and marked it off with some chalk...

I also maked an extra inch under the length this is seam allowance for when im stitching...
Once lines are complete, ready to cut!!...
Measured from the bust to about my knee, mark off with chalk...

With marking the final Length, I then free hand drew an arch shape(If your not confident with free hand then make a arch pattern with paper) Again I added on an extra inch of seam allowance for stitching...
Remembering its only the front that is arched lift up the front part of the dress and start to cut the arch shape! Be very careful not to pick up any of the back...
once everything is cut out, it's time to start sewing! (If your not confident sewing the seam allowance fold then iron the line of the seam allowance so you know where to fold up to when stitching. Use a tape measure to make sure that the fold is the tip of the tape for an even fold all the way around...
 (Im using an industrial sewing machine...Any machine will do!)
After sweing all the way round the dress give it a quick Iron...

 And the dress is completed... 

Love and Pink Kisses
XxX

No comments:

Post a Comment